Monday, March 05, 2007

#49 - Superstition


From Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Superstition
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English supersticion, from Anglo-French, from Latin superstition-, superstitio, from superstit-, superstes standing over (as witness or survivor), from super- + stare to stand — more at stand
Date: 13th century
1 a: a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation b: an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition
2: a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

1. I do not walk under ladders - why because although I don't believe anything bad will happen I rather not chance it.

2. If there is no wood available I tap my head and say 'touch on wood'

I can't think of any other rituals I go through because of supersition although one might pop in my head like it did the other day talking to my daughter. We were coming back home and she had just got her prom dress. Its a navy blue and she has decided only white is a suitable colour for her accessories. For some reason that brought back the saying 'red and white never mixed" something to do with the blood of Christ, so a bride shouldn't have a red and white bouquet as that will bring her bad luck. Emily response was 'Well, that must be why so many marriages in the US end in divorce then."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

After that nasty dog attack, maybe you do need to touch wood.

gautami tripathy said...

Red and white is considered very good combination around here.

Anonymous said...

I tap my head to when wood is not available.
Thanks for sharing.
Looking forward to your next scribble,
Frances
http://blogjem.com/2007/03/04/sunday-scribblings-march-4th/