Friday, February 23, 2007

The eight irresistible principles of Fun

I have just started an online course where you explore different ways of using thread, fabric whilst developing your own language using design and stitches. It is amazing how much I am into it.

I have always enjoyed stitching and for the past 19 yrs have done counted cross stitch whilst watching TV or listening to music. I find it very therapeutic and absorbing but I have never tried to explore in the way this course is design to do. However, in the past few months I have been exploring all these exciting mixed media and textile blogs, realising this is the real me. Yes I love painting but I find frustrating in many way because I can never find a way of expressing exactly what I want. The Fun has gone out of it. Reading these blogs made me realise that I have been restricting myself to what I and many people see as Art.

Its funny in a way because when I was doing my foundation course at Camberwell, I did a textile course and really loved doing it. When it came time for applying for my Degree, I was practically offered a place in the Textile dept before I was even considering which degree I was doing. Trouble was I was so damn determined (1) to do a painting course because I had fought so hard with my parents to agree for me go and (2) I needed to moved away from home.

I succeeded in getting on my painting degree and moving away from home. Most the 3 yrs I spend on the course, I was convinced I had done the wrong thing and as for moving away from home, My Mum (who had my best interests at heart)was still the dominant force in my life. At the end of the 3 yrs I gave up painting and moved back home until my Mum managed to get me a council flat. Actually I did move into a house share briefly which is where I met my husband but the landlord wanted to convert into flats so I moved back home and then moved into the council flat.

Anyway the long and the short of all this, nearly 30 yrs since I started my degree I think I have finally found my fun.

and here is a link which says it all The Eight Principles Its kinda of long but worth it.

0 comments: