Thursday, February 15, 2007

Being creative

Well, I am trying to keep up my creativity. As well as the 2 objects below I have also started an altered book plus I am trying to complete all the cross-stitch patterns I have accumulated over the years.

The altered/journal book is way to trying to find out where I am creatively. I have seen examples of these books on various blogs and I must admit I am really drawn to them as they seem to address one of the problems I have with working - enjoying the progress. I think I still have a long way to go.

The theme of the book will be me (of course) and the images?/art that I am looking at currently. I will paste/ collage the images and try to find the elements that seem to resonate with me. It should be an interesting journey.

I have made a good start by doing something I thought would never do, destroy a printed book. Its a really old book which I got in my mid 20's on Van Gogh. It's not a great book as it one of those generic art life books but I was still loath to purposely destroy a book to create another. However, I thought it would be a good base to start with as I love Van Gogh's work and I suspect he would approve of altered books himself.





Above, is the doll I have been working at for a considerable time on and off. To be honest I was working in the dark with this project and the reason I started it was because I just love dolls. I have no real sewing skills, not that it really need any and I don't have the patience to be ultra careful which I learnt you really need in a project like this. The whole thing is rough which is ok as its meant to be naive but really I do need to learn to careful with the sanding, painting and sealing, all of which failed in varying degrees with this project.




The ATC above, was me, trying to use what I have in my little laundry/art room and becoming too fussy, overblown and basically a mess but its a start. I actually made it for my Sister Debra as it was her birthday yesterday. In the past year, like most sisters we have had a few disagreements but it doesn't take away my love for her. I'm amazed by all my sisters, they are all such hard working individuals and here's me...a lazy so and so who sits at the PC everyday moaning about life and expecting sympathy....get a grip girl...you're going soft in yer ole ahge.

So as I said about the altered book, I really need to just get down and enjoy myself just like I use to tell my elderly art therapy clients in Dunfermline when I was a student.

The search is on for my INNER CHILD

My eldest daughter's poetry page
http://cautionary-tale.livejournal.com/ She would love you read and comment

0 comments: