Thursday, March 01, 2007

what a horrendous night

it had been a quiet night until Gordon took Angus for his usual walk around the block. About five minutes afterwards, I heard this really horrible sounds of Dogs fighting. I ran to door and there was Gordon trying to get this stray pit bull mix off of Angus. Angus was whelping in pain as he was pinned to the ground by his neck.

Seemingly what had happened was as Gordon rounded the corner of our street, he came across these 2 dogs, a little Jack Russell type and this beast of a dog. At first it was the little dog who came snarling across the road. Gordon thought it would be prudent to return home and as he did so the bigger dog started circling. As Gordon cross our front garden the bigger dog made a dash for it and grabbed Angus by the neck.

So this was the scene I confronted as I opened the door, Gordon frantically trying to rescue Angus. I grabbed Angus as Gordon tried desperately to get this dog off to no avail, kicking it, punching it etc. I shouted to Emily who was screaming in terror in the background, to grab something to hit the damn thing. She grabbed the first large thing at hand, a large piece of sculpture I had made a few years ago. In the meantime, I tried to poke out the eyes of this beast. Gordon grabbed the sculpture and began to hit the dog over the head with it. After several hits, it shattered and I saw this white thing fly pass my face. But I couldn't be bothered with that at the time, as the dog was still holding on. I told Gordon to grab the broken piece again and hit again. In the meantime, Emily in terror was calling the police.

I don't know how long all this took, probably several minutes but it seemed like hours and eventually the other dog was tiring and loosen its grip. I tried to pull Angus away but the other dog just lunged at him again but obviously he was tiring by now as Gordon grabbed his lower jaw again and prised his mouth open. With that I quickly moved Angus back indoors whilst Gordon hung grimly onto the other dog. As soon I was safely indoors he made a dash and we were all safe.

Once indoors we were able to assess the damage. Angus was okay as the dog had managed to only grab hold of his skin although he is very tender and subdued this morning. Gordon had a few small bite marks on his right hand index finger but I was the one who ended up worse for the wear. As the sculpture broke it must have been flung upwards and hit me in the face.





My left cheek is now one big lump and getting bluer as time goes on. So I am off to the Doctor in a few minutes to have it check out as my eye was bit gungy this morning and the last thing I need is an eye infection as it my good eye.

Of course the police arrived after all this had happened and the dog had run off but at least we were able to report a dangerous dog and hopefully they will be able to capture it in the next day or so.

2 comments:

y.Wendy.y said...

That is horrific! Poor you - I hope they get that dog before he freaking kills someone or maims a child or something worse.

Middle Child said...

My God. That is dreadful. How terrifying for you all. You poor people and poor Angus....I have had to with our youngest daughter watch two giant monster dogs lope towards us and her lovely red Kelpie the very handsome thorn... they were a fair way accross the park but they were loping in a steady determined manner right at Thorn. Luckily my daughter was able to get Thorn through the gate and we were safe...to see them on the other side of that fence was sobering. AND THEIR OWNERS WATCHED THE WHOLE THING AMUSED!