Sunday, February 10, 2008

Just another Sunday

and I am tired from not doing a lot. Most of the weekend I have spend upstairs either in the Laundry room where I do my messy artwork or the spare room where I do all my beading. I managed to finish one project completely, almost complete 2 more and thinking about at least 2 more that I plan to start this week whilst still having a couple on the go. Yes, I really should concentrate on one thing at a time but never seem to do that.

Big achievement of the weekend was learning out to use the table saw and router. Gordon had bought some wood which we are going to mount the curtain tracks on, so it was an opportune time to learn the basics. He has a stack of scraps in a box, so some time this week I will do some practising and hopefully I will get over my nerves. Once that is cracked, I will be able to make some frames for a whole load of prints we have stash away. Actually they aren't even stashed away, they have been sitting on the pool table for the last 4-6 months!

Last night we went to see a great movie "In Bruges" which starred Colin Farrell. Never thought much of him, to be honest, but in this film, he was brilliant. It really is a funny movie but with lots of pathos as well. Bruges looked good in it as well!

Other big drama of the weekend, is that Emily wants to move out of the dorms into an apartment. Obviously we want her to stay in dorms (it would cheaper for her) but nothing is going to stop her from her objective, so we may as well suck it up and accept it, as long as she doesn't complain at later date. Are you reading this and saying we say the same to our kids but they don't listen. Young Adults, are you reading to this and thinking this is what my parents say but they don't understand me. Join the club, we are all in together and together we will get through it.

I must admit I was more than happy to be hostels at college and not having to worry about rent, electricity etc but it seems we made our girls more independent than I was at 19. Even Alan has finally got a transfer to San Antonio (work, not university) and is planning to move into an apartment for the summer. Were we bad parents? LOL. It actually good to see them go out and grab their independence, (on our buck, mind) but then its a worry as well, knowing they have to study. work and work some more, just to survive week to week.

Anyway, the upstairs beckons, need to get on with these projects. Tomorrow I am going to Joann's to get some material to make curtains for the living room and dining room (we have wooden blinds at the moment). What! its only taken me 6 yrs to get to this stage. The whole house might be done before we sell up.

1 comments:

Middle Child said...

No point in saying don't worry because you will, you must and deep down she'd be hurt if you didn't. I left home completely at 16...Don did too and both our daughters at about 17...nearly got killed a few times ...each of us...cars etc... came from happy homes...just some don't cope not being independent and some do. I used to write lots of letters to them, and my mum did to me...still got some of them... a rela treasure.