Tuesday, January 15, 2008

An update

I have just finished talking to my eldest daughter on the phone and the ugly issue of health insurance has reared its head. Because Elisabeth has now graduated she can no longer be claimed as a dependant on our health insurance. We were hoping she would get a job with health benefits but not so far.

Elisabeth has barely used it in the past but wouldn't you Adam and Eve it, now she is no longer a dependent, she has some health issues which given her health history, needs to be seen to asap. So it was onto the phone with the company benefits and getting the cobra option that is available and provides continuous coverage until she get her own insurance, It is expensive option but then X,000,000 in treatments is also expensive.

Hopefully its is just a cyst that is erupting and will clear itself up but now she knows she is covered by insurance, she can relax. Thank god we have good health insurance for now, I think we are becoming increasingly lucky in that aspect according to a lot of the data available.

Well the house is quite again as all the kids are back in school which of course means the money is flowing freeing from the bank account. So the pressure is back on me to get a job. I did have a interview lined up for AT&T for next Monday but then they announced some losses yesterday,so a freeze hire has been put in place. Given the state of the economy, I suspect this will become common issue over the next few months at least. At the moment I have one application which is looking promising with a state dept as I am being screened but as I wait for that I am scouring the Internet for other likely jobs.

On the art side, I have been very active (well for me anyway). This writers strike has been a boon for me, as there is very little left on TV I want to watch and what I do like to watch, I tivo so I can watch when I am in the mood for it. So much as I sympathise with the writers (totally on their side on this issue), long may the strike continue. If it keeps going , my TV addition might be conquered. Now I just have to work on my Internet addition:)

1 comments:

Middle Child said...

I haven't had health insurance snce I was a kid...

In Australia although the health system is in a mess...if I ever needed surgery I wouldn't be going to a private hospital...

if a public hospital is a good one it is always better than a private one... but people get sucked in by the marble foyers and snogg of wine with dinner...

WE are all covered under Medicare here...and many doctors bulkbill so you don't have to pay...but we do have to pay Gap fees for X Rays etc...

I know in the US its a major concern to be uninsured and sadly Australiand are gradulallly being forced down this track...by the Fed Gov

I hope your daughters is okay